History

In 1839 Charles Manners St.George, the proprietor of Carrick on Shannon town erected the Market House and Shambles. In the first half of the 19th Century there was a trade in “coarse linen druggets, frieze and coarse flannel”, but the main market was butter and other farm produce. Following the establishment of Kiltoghert Co-operative Creamery in Co.Leitrim, the butter market came to an end, as did the other forms of market trading.

The Market Yard had been in private ownership for many years after that. Ten years ago the property was purchased by a local voluntary development group called MRD and through grant aid it has been restored and renamed The Market Yard Centre, as it is a central point in the town as well as a centre for shopping and community activity.